After spending my early years as a class teacher in the East End of London and Inner West Primary schools in Sydney, I made the move into Special Education specialising in holistic approaches to the education of children with autism working at Giant Steps Sydney. It was at Giant Steps after working closely with Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Music Therapists and Play Therapists that I truly identified the necessity to look at the “whole” child when working with them. Since leaving Giant Steps I have utilised the skills learnt in a variety of Special Education settings as well as through private consultations with clients.
Now I realise that all the skills learnt over the years are applicable to so many children with a range of learning difficulties. They work particularly well with those children that are not eligible for funding but struggle so much in all academic areas at school. I have devised systematic ways to instruct children in academic areas while at the same time ensuring they are developing across all areas including spatial awareness, body awareness and social skills. Now my commitment is to assist children that are not achieving at school, or those that are likely to have trouble when they start school by helping pinpoint the reasons why they are not achieving and helping to devise programs to meet those needs.
My firm belief is that the key to ensuring children succeed at school is that they have fully developed the foundation skills required for further learning before attempting learning content that is beyond their capabilities.
I have had a lot of training experience and have a Masters qualification in Adult Training as well as a Masters in Special Education. I have launched a Facebook Page called Special Needs Action Plans that has attracted over 8,000 followers in it’s first month. I also have a Website www.specialneedsactionplans.com.au which contains blogs, products and additional information.
I currently work part time as a Special Education Teacher in Catholic Schools as well as running my own business as an Educational Specialist. I would love to provide training to class teachers to help them assist the children in their classes that may require a different approach to learning.
• Academic Co-ordinator and Training Manager in Special Needs School.
• Assistant to the Director in Special Needs School.
• Team Leader in Special Needs School.
• Private Consulting work with parents and their children.
• Consultation and co-working with Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Music Therapists and Vision Therapists.
• Special Education Teacher in a regular primary school.
• Visiting Integration Teacher
• Direct service of programs through Teleschool. i.e. Skype
• Wide experience of referral process for students to a range of professionals.
• Identifying students that can receive funding.
• Training of Teacher Aides/Learning Support Assistants.
• Providing Individual Programs for children with a variety of Special Needs.
• Developing Specialised Maths Programs for children with Special Needs.